Information about CSU Campuses:
CSU Admissions Requirements
- Must meet A-G requirements
- CSUs do not require students to list community service activities
- They do not require a letter of recommendation
- They do not require a personal statement or essay
- Only send transcripts if you get a specific request to do so
- You can apply for a fee waiver within the application. You will know immediately when you submit if you qualified for four free applications.
The grades you earned in high school is the most important factor in CSU admission decisions. You high school GPA is calculated using your “a-g” grades in 10th and 11th grades only, a maximum of 8 honors points, no more than two in 10th grades.
Freshman applicants must submit either the ACT or SAT Test
- You can list CSU Mentor as an SAT score recipient. The code is 3594 and CSU Mentor will send all your scores for all CSU campuses that you applied to.
- If you are using ACT scores, you can use the ACT Score Manager to release your score to additional campuses. Before you can use the ACT Score Manager, you must first have the score arranged to be sent to one CSU campus and then log back into the CSU Mentor account (ACT Score Manager) and then “manage” your scores to be sent to other CSU schools. This is an important step. If you do not go back to the ACT Score Manager, your schools will not receive the ACT scores!
CSU Eligibility Index
The Eligibility Index Table shows the combination of test scores and grade point averages required to meet minimum eligibility requirements. The CSU does not use the SAT Writing section or the ACT writing score to calculate the CSU Eligibility Index.
Impacted Programs and Impacted Majors:
The list of impacted majors below may change in future academic years.
The following four (4)) impacted business majors admit applicants to the pre-major program based on their eligibility index:
1. Business – Accountancy
2. Business – Finance / Financial Analysis
3. Business – Finance / Financial Planning
4. Business – Finance / Insurance
The following three (3) impacted majors admit applicants directly to the major program based on their eligibility index:
5. Cinema and Television Arts
9. Health Sciences
Applicants to the following impacted major are required to pass an audition:
11. Music – See Audition & Placement.
CSU Mentor Application
- You can apply to multiple campuses through CSU Mentor
- Application submission is from October 1 to November 30.
- There is no advantage of applying earlier.
- Fee waivers up to four CSU schools are embedded into the CSU Mentor application. You will know immediately if you are eligible for fee waivers.
Equal Opportunity Program (EOP):
ELM and EPT Tests
- A score of 500 or above on the critical reading section of the College Board SAT Reasoning Test
- A score of 22 or above on the ACT English Test
- A score of 3 or above on either the Language and Composition or Composition and Literature examination of the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Program
- A score of 550 or above on the mathematics section of the College Board SAT Reasoning Test
- A score of 550 or above on a College Board SAT Subject Test in Mathematics (level 1 or level 2)
- A score of 23 or above on the ACT Mathematics Test
- A score of 3 or above on the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Calculus AB or Calculus BC exam
The Middle Class Scholarship lowers the college fees to up to 40% off statewide fees (tuition) at the UC and CSU campuses for families making under $100,000 that do not qualify for other financial aid programs and will provide a 10% tuition reduction for families making up to $150,000. The Middle Class Scholarship tuition coverage is based on a sliding scale. Students must filed the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov or the California Dream Act Application at www.caldreamact.org no later than March 2nd priority deadline. Students must have a minimum of 2.0 financial aid GPA.
Do I need a letter of recommendation to apply to the CSUs?
No, you do not need letters of recommendations. The application (CSU Mentor) is straight forward. You do not even list extracurricular activities. Having a transcript in front of you will be helpful.
I think I calculated the CSU GPA incorrectly. What do I do?
This happens more frequently than you think. So, each school will recalculate your GPA to make sure it’s correct.
Do I have to take the ELM and EPT tests?
If you have been exempt from it (see the above) through the EAP testing or ACT or SAT scores, you do not need to take the test. But if you are not exempt, you must take it.
What if I don’t take the ELM or EPT Tests?
You will not be admitted or your acceptance will be rescinded. It is important for you to meet all deadlines. See the website for the last days to sign up.